01. When and why was the company founded?
02. What subjects, levels and skills do you cover?
03. What geographical areas do you cover?
Bespoke Tuition’s central branch is in London where we have offices in Fulham and Mayfair and can provide our full range of tutoring services. More info
Bespoke Tuition’s second largest presence is in Hong Kong where we import a team of UK Qualified teachers each academic year and arrange for them to work with students at family homes (or online if preferred) by the hour. More info
Worldwide “travelling & residential tutors”:
For families who are based internationally, we can provide a suitably matched 'tutor-in-residence' who will tailor an educational programme in line with your objectives and requirements. For those families planning a short or long term trip domestically or abroad, we can provide experienced 'travelling tutors' to accompany the family and ensure academic continuity. Wherever you plan to go in the world, for whatever duration, we can deliver a personally recruited tutor to you.
04. Does in-person tuition take place at home?
05. Do you offer Online Tuition?
06. How do I find a full time homeschooling tutor?
To find the best tutoring agency for your child, look for the one that takes time and effort to really understand your family dynamic, values, education philosophy and interests alongside the obvious curriculum objectives. Engaging a full time tutor on such an intensive basis, who frequently resides in the family’s main residence, is a big change for all the family and there are only a handful of elite tutoring agencies out there who are genuinely experienced enough in this area to pre-empt the pitfalls, guide families on this journey and provide a truly bespoke and professional service from start to finish.
Bespoke Tuition offers a full homeschooling service worldwide. We have supported clients with a range of objectives and motives for seeking an alternative education pathway for their children. Some have chosen to take a year’s sabbatical to sail around the world; others have become disenchanted with their local education system and feel they can offer their children a more bespoke, enriching and future-proof education. Whatever your reasons, the future is really exciting and we feel optimistic about it. It is not something to fear; we simply have to be open to new ways of educating our children to keep up with the ever-changing world.
07. Do your tutees have minimum/maximum age limits?
08. How soon can you find us a tutor?
For hourly tuition, we can usually send a family some options within 24-48 hours. This is something we pride ourselves on. For more intensive tuition (homeschooling, daily tuition, residentials), we aim to provide options within a week but it depends how bespoke the client’s requirements are and if we need to actively head-hunt for the right candidate.
09. How will you show us prospective candidates?
Having discussed a family's requirements, Bespoke Tuition emails a comprehensive 4 page profile of any suitable tutors with customised quote which will include the following:
- agency appraisal of the tutor concerned
- photograph and full education background
- case studies detailing previous tuition assignments
- written feedback from parents who have previously hired the tutor
- a list of skill-building areas in which tutor can offer support (eg critical thinking, time management, exam technique)
- a personal message written by the tutor describing his/her approach
Having been sent a personally matched tutor profile, families are given the opportunity to speak with the tutor prior to having a trial tutorial in person or online. Example tutor profiles can be viewed on the website in the ‘Our Tutors’ section.
10. Can I browse through your tutors myself on the website myself?
You can browse through a selection of our UK and Online Tutors
You can also browse through a selection of our Hong Kong Tutors
We have many more tutors available and normally conduct a bespoke search based on your personal requirements. Please complete our Contact Form and we will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your requirements.
11. How do I know that your tutors are good?
With a distinguished client base who expect the very best, Bespoke Tuition simply could not continue producing such positive outcomes and success stories, if the selected tutors were not of the very highest standard. Just as Bespoke Tuition has steadily grown predominantly via word of mouth by providing an exceptional service since 2010, the quality of our tutors also continues to rise year on year. Only 15% of those who apply to Bespoke Tuition, on average, are called for interview and 5% selected. Bespoke Tuition deliberately keeps the team small so as to retain quality and offer the very highest standard of tuition. As part of the recruitment process, testimonials are requested from parents who have previously hired the tutor by way of a past performance review. We will simply not hire a tutor who has received negative feedback from previous employers.
The Good Schools Guide has consistently ranked Bespoke Tuition in the top A grade category annually since 2017. Read Full Good Schools Guide Review
Take a look at what other people have said:
For every successful applicant, Bespoke Tuition composes a 4 page profile on his/her background and experience which is used to show to prospective families. Having been sent a tutor profile, families are given the opportunity to interview the tutor via telephone or skype before committing to a session. Example tutor profiles can be found on the website.
Beyond a demonstrated ability in subject matter and excellent communication skills, the agency looks for additional areas in which tutors can add value such as: critical thinking, executive functioning, verbal/non-verbal reasoning, essay writing, exam technique, mentorship, learning disability experience, speech and language training as well as additional qualifications of relevance (eg CELTA, TEFL, PGCE, Phonics training etc.)
Once a tutor has passed Bespoke’s recruitment processes and been accepted, he/she must receive consistently positive feedback from our families in order to remain a member of the highly regarded team. Visit our Success Stories page.
12. Can my child team up with a friend and share tuition?
13. Does the tutor provide teaching resources?
14. Will I be tied to a fixed number of sessions?
15. What happens in the first session?
16. How can parents help to make the first session a success?
Families can help our tutors to make well-informed appraisals of a student’s level and goals prior to a first tutorial or early on in the process by providing the tutor with any or all of the following information where relevant:
- Key learning objectives and end-goals
- School reports/School teacher feedback
- Learning assessments or EdPsych reports
- Dates of any pending exams or tests
- Curriculum, exam board and challenges of current year group
- Textbooks that the student uses at school
- List of any relevant target schools or universities
- Samples of student’s work
- Details of school’s intranet if it posts relevant information on school assignments etc.
- Details of any known/suspected learning difficulties & how they might impact the student’s learning
- A quiet, allocated workspace conducive to learning that is kept organised and tidy Some parents may also wish to connect the tutor with the student’s schoolteacher so as to ensure consistent teaching/tutoring methods and also to better inform the tutor of the student’s challenges but naturally this is entirely optional and not always appropriate.
17. My friend wants to hire my tutor. Can I connect them with the tutor?
18. What feedback is provided?
Clients receive a comprehensive monthly lesson report written by the tutor including: a summary of content covered; identification of any strengths/weaknesses; explanation of any successful learning/teaching techniques; details of progress made plus areas for improvement and any practical advice for the parent/caregiver. Reports are held on the client's online account which can be accessed anytime.
Once the student has completed 5 sessions with a tutor, Bespoke Tuition will send an automated request for feedback. We see this as a good period of time for clients to have assessed whether or not the Tutor is a good fit for the student and any comments are warmly welcomed. We will endeavour to rectify as soon as possible any aspect that clients are not completely satisfied with as soon as possible so it is important that you flag the good and the bad!
19. What is the cancellation policy?
20. What is the payment procedure?
21. In which countries can you provide a tutor-in-residence?
22. We are going on a trip aboard - can we take a tutor with us?
23. What is it like tutoring in Hong Kong?
Since 2012, Bespoke Tuition has assigned a new team of tutors in "Hong Kong" to support international school students on an hourly basis at family homes.
- “My year tutoring in Hong Kong is definitely one I'll never forget. I had a range of international placements to choose from and I'm so glad that I seized this opportunity. I worked with a range of lovely families and wonderful students. I was able to teach subjects that I am passionate about, which I really enjoyed. Also due to the nature of the work, if arranged in advance I was able to be quite flexible with my schedule. As a place Hong Kong is such a vibrant and exciting city. It's an incredibly friendly island and there's always something different to get involved in. Even though I arrived without knowing anyone, I made some incredible friends there. The help I got from Bespoke was unwavering, I always felt so at ease and supported. I couldn't recommend this placement enough.”* ~ Testimonial from a tutor of Bespoke Tuition who spent 10 months in Hong Kong
24. What foreign languages can you support?
25. What is Executive Function?
Executive Function is a set of cognitive processes that are located within the prefrontal cortex of the brain and help you get things done. We value this as such a key part of academic skill-building that we have a trained specialist who can offer a one-off masterclass or a course in this area. Paula's popular Executive Function Courses are suitable for students aged 11 years and up and will help to improve time management, organisation, essay writing, note-taking and a general sense of control over workload management.
26. How can I support my child with Revision Skills?
Regardless of lockdowns and exam shake-ups, at regular points in a student’s life, revision skills will play a fundamental role in their success. Whilst there is no single approach that will work for every student, following a few staple guidelines will help to optimise revision time over the holidays from memory strategies to time management and handling those anxiety-inducing exam nerves.
27. What are the pros and cons of the IB?
For those deliberating over whether or not to choose the IB curriculum, one of our Senior Tutors reflects on her own experience of the course, evaluating the advantages and disadvantages to help you make the right decision.
28. What summer courses do you offer?
Throughout the summer holidays, we offer a range of tuition, courses and clubs to keep minds stimulated and engaged.
Our full range of customisable courses and clubs remain active in July and August so whether your child would like to develop or enhance a love of reading (Book Club), hone their writing skills (Creative Writing, Screenwriting, Poetry) or learn the art of debate or critical thinking, we have a stimulating course for you.
For budding linguists, we can offer 3 day-2 week Language Homestays where students to live with our host tutors in various European cities immersing themselves in a foreign language and culture. More Info
For international students seeking to improve their English Language, we offer a 2 week summer school divided between London and the south coast of England. Tuition takes place in the morning followed by cultural excursions in the afternoon and a group meal and relaxation in the evening.
29. What is the average age of your tutors?
30. How many tutors do you have working on a regular basis?
31. How many of your tutors work exclusively for you?
32. How do you select your tutors?
Bespoke Tuition receives an average of 10 applications per week from experienced, high-achieving tutors wishing to join our exclusive team. We have a discerning client base with exacting standards and our recruitment process is suitably rigorous and selective. On average, our tutors have 5 years of tutoring experience and virtually all have attended Ivy League/world class universities such as Oxbridge, Imperial College London, Edinburgh, Brown, UCL, LSE, Cornell and Sorbonne.
Tutors must pass our criteria at each of the following stages to proceed to the next: • Stage 1 - Tutor applies via CV and cover letter. On average, 15% of those who apply are called for interview; 5% are accepted.
• Stage 2 – One to one interview including role play exercises, multiple intelligence testing, personality evaluation, analysis of the tutor’s pre prepared lesson plan, discussion on personal motivations and teaching philosophy as well as Bespoke Tuition’s core values and approach.
• Stage 3 – Qualifications check is undertaken and testimonials requested from previous employers.
• Stage 4 – Bespoke Tuition registers the Tutor and conducts a renewed DBS background check if required.
• Stage 5 – The Tutor is taken through Bespoke Tuition's Guidelines, Terms and a Bespoke Action Plan to help promote their individual profile and contribute to our wider team e.g video creation, article contributions and workshop ideas based on their niche areas of expertise etc.
• Stage 6 – A 4 page profile (and introductory video) is composed on the tutor which will be used to present to prospective families.
• Stage 7 – Senior Tutors and Consultants of Bespoke Tuition occasionally sit in on tutorials, with parental permission, to monitor the tutor’s performance.
• Stage 8 - Testimonials are regularly gathered from parents to use as feedback on our tutors.
33. Do your tutors need minimum qualifications/experience?
34. What do you look for in your tutors?
We believe that the most effective tutoring outcomes stem from a positive, trusting and well matched tutor-student relationship. From the very beginning, we have taken great pride and care in recruiting tutors whom we would want to have as role models educating our own children. Students will seek to impress those whom they admire, respect and relate to. As such, whilst academic excellence is inevitably high in Bespoke Tuition’s recruitment criteria, we place equal importance on superb communication skills, charismatic, engaging personalities and high emotional intelligence. However bright, tutors must be able to simplify concepts and transmit information in an easy-to-follow, fun and engaging manner, with a strong awareness of different learning styles. The ‘added value’ element is key and is a key reason why so few applicants make it onto our team. As well as tutoring for exams, school entrance and other outcome-focused goals, Bespoke Tuition looks for tutors who have the specialist skills to be able to offer students tools and strategies for lifelong learning where time and objectives allow - critical thinking, time management, organisation and memory techniques, amongst others.
Beyond academics, qualifications and tutoring/teaching experience, we seek tutors with charisma and an engaging personality as well as a drive to exceed expectations and sincere excitement at the prospect of making a difference to a child’s educational journey. On interviewing the tutor, we look for the following skillset and traits:
- An ability to explain a concept in multiple ways
- An upbeat yet composed communication style
- In-depth knowledge of curriculum and assessment objectives for chosen subjects
- A well-structured and methodical lesson plan delivered engagingly and concisely
- Natural professionalism, devotion to education and discretion (as well as a sense of fun: we love a genuine smile and good sense of humour !)
- A thirst for teaching creatively and inspiring/building confidence in young people
- Proven ability of developing customised tutoring lessons/programmes
- Positive energy, spark and enthusiasm
- Added value – how will they help tutees to skill-build? What makes him/her an elite tutor?
35. What reference checks and background checks do you undertake?
- Two references are requested: one employer, one character
- Testimonials from parents who have engaged the tutor previously Further vetting by Bespoke Tuition includes the checking of: --degree certificate --further qualifications --Enhanced DBS (criminal records check) --passport and visa (if applicable)
36. What motivates your tutors?
37. How do you retain your tutors?
38. Do you give your tutors any training?
39. Can you help us shortlist schools?
40. Do you offer a University Admissions service?
For both UK & US universities, our expert range of University Admissions Consultants , Tutors and Mentors can offer professional guidance, combining over 50 years’ experience in selecting the ideal fit for students applying for university. From selecting the right subjects through school to navigating the UCAS (or notoriously complex US) system, application support and test prep, to final stage interviews, we have all stages covered to set students up for an exemplary application. Since 2010, we have helped students from all over the world secure a place at leading British, European & American universities.
41. How do I prepare for Oxbridge admissions?
We have an Oxbridge Admissions Specialist who can guide you through the entire process, offering customised advice based on your course and college aspirations. We can also match students with an ex-Oxbridge graduate (of same college and course) who can provide behind-the-scenes insight into the admissions process, everyday life and advice on which college to choose as well as tips and tricks to help your application stand out from the crowd.
42. Can you help with Careers Advice?
Our specialist Careers Tutors, Mentors and Counsellors can offer first-hand insight into a range of professions to better inform students with ‘behind the scenes’ intel on potential degree or career paths. Whether you have a clear idea of your career aspirations or need help navigating all the options, we can offer the necessary guidance.
Bespoke Tuition’s Career Tasters are one-off masterclasses providing an introduction into a range of vocations from core professions such as medicine and law to more niche areas such as artificial intelligence, nutrition and physiotherapy. Students can book a one to one session with a mentor who has had first-hand experience of such occupations, gaining insight into entrance pathways, which subjects to choose, how to get work experience and what extracurriculars to pursue to increase chances of securing employment in the chosen area. These masterclasses can be hosted upon request, either one to one or for a small group, online or in person.
For young adults aged 18-26 years old, our trusted partner also offers a superb Employability Accelerator programme which is designed to offer real, practical support for whatever the next step may be. With invaluable career mentoring from FTSE 500 recognised executive coaches, 2 weeks of intensive and focused work experience, alongside an award-winning learning platform, this invaluable programme can be delivered either online or in-person.
43. What are your charges for clients?
We offer both standard and premium rate tutors – all tutors are ranked based on their experience, qualifications and track record of success. Customised quotes are provided on tutor profiles that are emailed to families upon request. All quotes are inclusive of the tutor's pay, VAT where applicable and the agency's fees.
Hourly tuition in the UK commences from £45 per hour. We charge 65% of the hourly rate for an additional student sharing a lesson (55% if there are 3 students). In Hong Kong, our typical hourly rate is 850 HKD per hour, though we start from 700 HKD per hour for online. Worldwide, our live-in residential packages start from £1100 per week plus full board, flights, visa and insurance. These rates vary according to the nature and demands of the assignment as well as the experience/qualifications of the tutor. For 12 month+ assignments, we normally charge an introductory fee, payment for which is broken into 3 instalments.
44. What do you pay your tutors?
45. How much commission does the agency make?
46. Can you offer specialist support to students with SEN?
47. Can you offer Speech & Language Therapist support?
48. Do you sign up to any industry codes of practice?
Yes, we are a Corporate Member of the Tutors' Association. We have also been annually reviewed by The Good Schools Guide since 2017 who have allocated us their top A grade rating year on year.
49. Does Bespoke Tuition have a universal style of teaching?
50. Can parents choose a particular education approach?
51. Does Bespoke Tuition have an education philosophy?
Each family has their own perspective on education and we are of course obliged to follow their lead as our primary job is to propose a tutor whom we feel will fit well with a client's desired approach.
Whilst Bespoke Tuition recognises the importance of high achievement in examinations, we also believe in nurturing a love of learning and building confidence and study skills within our students. A successful assignment in our mind is to see a student walk away brimming with confidence and a personalised learning toolkit alongside better grades.
Ultimately, we aim to help students develop their own interest in and understanding of a subject so that they may maximise their enjoyment and realise, or exceed, their potential. Whilst we offer mentors who can offer daily support where required, far from creating a dependence on a tutor, our end goal is to equip students with the tools and techniques they require to discover and refine their own independent way of learning.
Bespoke Tuition was established to recognise and cater for the uniqueness of each student in their learning styles, challenges, motivations and potential. This is why we take such time and effort in getting to know our tutors and match them with suitable tutees. Our esteemed team of tutors are at the very heart of our business and we are here to support them as well as our clients every step of the way!